In March, I mentioned I picked up a treadle sewing machine on craigslist for $20. The problem with this venture was that I knew nothing about sewing or sewing machines and it was coated in decades of grime so it was hard to tell what was under there. It did clean up beautifully, but as I learned more I realized the foot didn’t work and the gearing was shot.
It ended up taking 6 weeks and cost a lot more to fix than I would have expected. 😀 But I’m still very happy with it. That’s less than a cheap modern plastic machine. And I’m still following listings for these old Singers. Working antiques go for 2-3 times that. Plus they would still need maintenance to get into daily use shape like mine is. Now that I’ve made the investment this sucker should have another lifetime of use left in it.
I’ve learned that my AA serial number makes this a Singer 66 produced in 1925. Amazingly enough Singer has the operators manual online, and there are still some parts to be found. I plan on using some of my spending money in the next few months to pick up spare needles and a belt, as well as some additional feet. Back when our Walmart slimmed down it’s craft department I picked up some clearance material to practice with, and have squirreled away some other sewing supplies as the budget allowed over the year.
Now I only need to learn how to sew!